I am of Indian origin. I was born in Indian and lived there till I was two years old. Both my parents were raised in America so we tend to live a very Americanized lifestyle. That being said, I still look very Indian so many people assume I’m “fresh off the boat” until they hear me speak with my strong American accent. Anyway, here is a list of stereotypes and things people have said to me because I look Indian…
- Why don’t you wear a red dot on your head? Does your mom wear one? (No, and the red dot is called a bindi)
- Are you muslim…?
- You must love curry. We have this joke that Indians all smell like curry!
- Are your parents going to set up an arranged marriage? (No.)
- Wow, for an Indian you speak really good English.
- Aren’t you not allowed to even talk to boys?
- Indians are either super rich or super poor.
- You’re dark for an Indian… do you tan a lot?
- Do you speak Indian?
- I bet you have no choice but to become a doctor, right? (No.)
- You must be vegetarian… aren’t all Indians vegetarian? (No.)
- Do any of your family members work at 7/11? (Again, no.)
- You must be crazy smart because you’re Indian!
- You are really pretty for an Indian!
This is just a short list but it’s so funny to me to see the ways people stereotype me. I know they aren’t trying to be rude or offensive the majority of the time. I wonder how other people are stereotyped?